How To Set Up an Appointment for Ashkenazi Jewish Carrier Screening
We get a lot of phone calls and emails every day asking about our Ashkenazi Jewish carrier screening program, how it works, and how to set up an appointment. Hopefully this bit of information will be helpful.
- We (the Program for Jewish Genetic Health) provide genetic counseling and carrier screening in the NY-area through our clinical offices at Montefiore Medical Center.
- You must have genetic counseling in order to have your carrier screening through our program.
- Since you are coming in for a genetic counseling visit, we do ask for your physician’s phone number so we can send a copy of your results to your physician.
- Since it is a genetic counseling visit, Montefiore bills your insurance company for the genetic counseling visit. We have you call your insurance company before setting up an appointment to see if the genetic counseling will be covered. For instructions on how to do this, click here. If you don’t check with your insurance company in advance and you get a bill, we CANNOT reduce the price of the office visit.
- If you do not have any health insurance, we offer you a reduced rate of $75 for the office visit. We ask that you contribute $180 towards the cost of your genetic testing and we subsidize the remainder.
- We do not run the genetic testing ourselves. We send the testing out to outside labs. The lab which we use for the majority of your testing bills your insurance company. Even if your insurance company pays NOTHING, the lab will not send you a bill for more than $99. For this reason, we do not ask you to look into insurance coverage for the genetic testing, and we do not deal with insurance companies regarding this.
- It takes ~2-3 weeks to get results from the testing. Once results are in, we call you with the results and send a copy of the results to your doctor and to yourself for your records.
- Once you are ready to set up an appointment, click here and fill out our registration form. Someone will contact you within 2-3 days to set up an appointment. Below are our appointment times:
Tuesdays 8:30am-11:00am and 1:00pm-2:00pm
- For more information, click here to visit our Program’s informational genetic testing website.
If you do not live in the NY-area, try contacting one of these wonderful organizations who provide subsidized carrier screening:
1) The Victor Center http://www.victorcenters.org/screening.cfm
2) The Center for Jewish Genetics (formerly the Chicago Center for Jewish Genetics) http://www.jewishgenetics.org/?q=content/education-and-screening-programs
3) The Jewish Genetic Diseases Center of Greater Phoenix http://www.jewishgeneticsphx.org/
If one of these centers is not local, please visit www.nsgc.org to find a genetic counselor near you.
Posted on December 20, 2012, in Chani's posts and tagged family health history, genetic testing, health, hereditary cancer, Jewish genetic diseases, The Program for Jewish Genetic Health. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.